View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 CKD car 

Hi, I have just return under the REP. I would like to buy a car (such as proton) and I see the MAA website, the excise duty is around 60% which suppose to be exempted. However, the dealer told me for Proton Preve (RM62K), the excise duty is only RM500, is it true? How to calculate the excise duty, 60% of what amount? I could find any calculator in the websie, please kindly advise. Many thanks.

Boon Han

Thu May 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Boon Han,

I forwarded your question to TalentCorp and below is the reply...

"Cars differ in their amount of taxes based on the model, the specs, etc. We do not have visibility on the amount of taxes however it would be better if Mr. Boon Han also enquires with other car dealers to compare."

Sounds like the dealers are the best ones to ask on excise duties.

Did you decide on a car?

Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Hai, Chen May Yee,
I have found out the way. I asked the car dealer to give me the invoice details of other customer. Looks like Nissan, Toyota...have higher reduction than Proton and Perodua in terms of excise duty.
Thanks

Boon Han

Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Another issue is how long should I wait after booking? Because for loan, bank may wait for 3 months, after that have to re-apply. something like that.

And the registration in MOF website is quite complicated. How to buy the digital certificate? and it takes a week to give me the e-filing pin?

Tue May 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Ah, very good!

Yes, the process is extremely cumbersome. I pulled out not a few hairs when we did it. Some dealers are more familiar than others with the process can can help you along. Some are not.

Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi, I just return to Malaysia, I have approached a Honda dealer, the tax free car is only 22% cheaper, can anyone share with me how much discounts you guys have got in the past? And at which dealer? Thanks.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:57 pm

I think for Honda, cheapest one, the tax exempted is less than RM 6K, Toyota Vios is around 18K, Nissan Almeria around 13K, Proton around 3K plus, MyVi around 4.4K, Alza may be 6K

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 pm

I am waiting for my car, Toyota Vios. One issue raised, they said have to wait until the car arrive, then can get the chassis no. and engine no. The car is specially distributed because other cars are already taxed. That is the reason have to wait so long. Is this true? And could we push to obtain the chassis no. and engine no. earlier? I think once the car is assembled, they should already know all the car information.
I don't know how, the dealer keep on drag me. Headache, have to rent car in KL is quite expensive.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Yup, I was told the same...some sales agents even mentioned under the REP program, they already give huge discount and with very low margin, their commission left only few hundred..

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 am

When I bought my Honda CRV two and a half years ago, the taxes were about 30%. And yes, we had to wait a few months.

I think a lot depends on the make of the car. The other car we were looking at, the Nissan X-trail, is also used by some government departments, so would have been an even longer wait.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next